I know it has been a couple of days since the show, but I was exhausted after the day and then it was straight back to work so I am only now finding the time to put finger to keyboard. That said, it was as excellent a show as ever as far as I could tell. I was pretty much tied to my stand all day with interested parties and the game, so I really didn’t get to see much of the show at all, which is a real shame but goes with the territory.

Anyway, the game. I ran Red Dawn but this time we were part of the covering force battle. Once again, the game was curtailed to suit a participation game – no Patrol Phase and only a couple of Soviet squads against one British section and a sniper. The scenario pitted the remnants of a Combat Recce Patrol of a Motor Rifle Battalion, BMP equipped, against British mechanised infantry. The table looked like this from the Soviet side:






and like this from the British side:



The woods were broken ground as was the deforested area in the centre. The game started with a T64 brewed up by a bar mine just to the left (as we look at it from the British side) of the far trees. A BMP with the Platoon Commander was following and a second BMP with the Company Commissar was about to cross the stream just above the trees on the left of the picture.

The Soviets began by moving the OC’s BMP into the trees looking to use the dead ground behind the hill on their left to approach the British end, the second BMP, moving very slowly (double 1!) edged across the ford aiming to close before debussing.

The British Rifle Team duly deployed into the left wood and fired their Carl Gustav – close range, in the open, moving slowly – KABOOM! Scratch one BMP. This caused a flurry of tests as it exploded so the Soviets had to throw for the loss of the vehicle, the loss of the section, the loss of the section leader and the loss of the Commissar. But these things matter a lot less to the Soviets than NATO and Force Morale only dropped by 2.

Was this game over? Some thought so, but the Soviets pressed on and brought the BMP up the reverse slope. They deployed their dismounts, placed the BMP in a hull down position and held the Platoon Commander back out of the line of fire but still in a position to control matters. The fire from the dismounts and especially the BMP’s HE started to blow chunks out of the British. The GPMG team deployed with the rifle group to add their fire and shock kept hitting the Soviets. However, the combination of the Platoon Command and the BMP commander allowed them to keep the shock down and keep firing. It was an uneven battle and, after a particularly devastating HE round, the British, close to being pinned and reduced to little more than a gun group, pulled back into cover.

At this point, the Soviets saw their chance to close and the BMP accelerated across the table with the dismounts running as fast as they could to keep up. This exposed the Platoon Commander and the sniper duly deploy, in the same trees as the rest of the British, and did not miss! Down went the Platoon Commander. The Soviets dodged the Force Morale test, which is a very damaging one for the Soviets, by using a Chain of Command dice – a good call.

And the BMP rolled on! As it came through the trees the British, using a Chain of Command dice to interrupt, fired their last anti armour weapon – an M72 LAW – at it but the weapon had clearly been damaged in all the fighting as no hit was achieved (double 1). At this point the British scattered and conceded.

Overall, another good game of Red Dawn and one that all players seemed to enjoy! Many thanks to everyone, who stopped by to say hello.


Monty the Desert Rat


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *